- Log into your Jira instance as an admin.
- Click the admin dropdown and choose Add-ons.
The Find new apps or Find new add-ons screen loads.
- Locate vLinks.
- Click Free trial to download and install your app.
- You're all set!
Click Close in the Installed and ready to go dialog.
vLinks provides a new custom field type, which allow the user to select issues (single or multiple issue picker) and create and/or remove issue links depending on the selection. You can also use some variables or keywords to display data about the issue appearing in the custom field.
Creating a custom field
- Select Apps in the Settings page and continue by opening vLinks Configuration
- Click on 'Add New Field'.
- Name your vLinks custom field
- vLinks offers two field types: Multiple Issue Picker and Single Issue Picker
Select one of the options
- Define a JQL Filter
Options for this custom field will be restricted to issues matching this querry.
- Select a screen in which you want the vLinks field to appear.
Configuring vLinks field
Following can be configured by an administrator
- Synchronize Issue links - links will be synchronized with Jira links.
JQL filter - you can insert a desired jql filter in the textfield. Options for this custom field will be restricted to issues matching this querry On the right side you can see either a green icon if the filter is valid or a red icon if the filter isn't.
Set Permission - while checked, custom field dropdown will show all issues regardless of user permissions.
- View Template - you can decide how the template will look. Predefined values help you to display values from the issue: $key, $summary, $reporter, $assignee, $status, $priority
- Scheme Context - Select a project and narrow it further down with selecting an issue. If none is selected vLinks field will be displayed globally
Edit and delete vLinks field
In the vLinks Configuration page vLinks field can be edited and/or deleted.
The App provides a new custom field type to Jira which enables the user to identify and select issues (single or multiple) easily and quickly. This user-defined field allows the user to create and remove issue links depending on the options selected. In addition, the linked custom issue field can be used in JQL functions.
Searching using the linked issue custom field
In case of issues, you can use the linked custom field in JQL queries. This makes searching for linked topics a lot easier.
Easy management of issue links in a user-friendly field
All you have to do is to identify the issues to be linked and complete them automatically.
Configuration of the linked issue custom field
The custom field is assigned to the issue link type of your choice. Furthermore, you can restrict which issues are displayed by specifying a JQL request.